Wednesday, March 19, 2014

The Journey of Fifty Thousand Words Starts With One Keystroke

I had an idea. I can't really remember what birthed it. It was small at first and kept growing the more I paid it some mind. Now this idea has expanded into what I believe will become my first novella length story. In order to see this project through to the end, I've taken many early steps. This blog is one of them.

OPINIONS ARE LIKE ASSHOLES AND I HAVE ONE will serve as one of those vehicles to help me keep focus and honest to this writing project. Obviously, it's mostly for me but if you find some sort of interest in following this process then welcome aboard. I used to scoff at writers who put their progress out to the public as if we somehow care about anything other then the final product. I would be remiss to not recognize the efforts of rookie writer, Tony Baker and his tireless dedication to sharing his progression from start to finish of his first book. And with a great deal of success which I hope to use as a model for some aspects of my own writing project.

At this time, to keep it at least somewhat intersting to anyone following along, I won't reveal many details of the project. I'll start out by giving you this much: 
  • This is projected to be a 50,000 word project.
  • Initial outlining of the story is already taking place
  • I have set a firm start date of April 1, 2014
  • My goal is 1000 words/day for fifty days to complete the first draft.
Lofty? I'd like to think I'm being reasonable out of the gate. I know the words per day rate I can handle based on my output writing short stories. I have never utilized an outline for a story before but the size of the project coupled with my expected output really necessitated it I felt. I think having a map will help get this done withing my self imposed time frames. I will do everything possible to stick to my own rules but I think I've given myself enough wiggle room to allow for unforeseen circumstances without frustrating myself during the long haul.

That's about all I'm going to talk about in this first installment. Check back as I will reveal more about the plot, the title and the process as I head toward the April 1st start date. Then keep checking back as I write this bad boy out and check in here with how things are going.

FJE

No comments:

Post a Comment