Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Drawing Inspiration

I want to talk a little bit about somewhere very special I've been drawing inspiration from. Author Armand Rosamilia started a campaign to collect new books from authors and publishers to ship over to the brave men and women defending our country in Kuwait and Afghanistan. The drive is called Authors Supporting Our Troops 2014 and Rosamilia's efforts have harvested over 1700 books from over 200 authors thus far. If you are a writer or a publisher I implore you to join and participate in this worthwhile cause.

I, myself, do not have a book to donate to the cause. I have four short stories published in four different books, but none that I can call my own just yet. Part of the kick in the ass I've got to change that is inspired directly from the ASOT 2014 event. Armand Rosamilia has been posting tons of pictures daily of myriad books spanning all genres and interests. It is awe inspiring to see the generous outpouring from the writing community. But there is another inspiration there as I see the books stacking up and the list of contributors getting longer and longer, these are people who buckled down and got it done.

So everyday I see a handful more pictures of books sent in for our service men and women to read somewhere in the desert a world away. A little opportunity for a piece of home and a moment to escape the realities they face. I am driven to write my own book that, hopefully, if there is another book drive next year, I too will be able to donate to and join in this always inspiring writing community.

As for the writing update: I continue to tap away at the prologue. I actually started a new prologue entirely. The first stab was a straight forward narrative that just felt full of useless detail and was not really going anywhere. Today I started anew writing what amounts to a television news report of the scene. I can better visualize the scene playing out this way and the words are flowing more freely. So I feel justified in the early start now as I've taken one step forward and two steps back. I'm sure there will be more of that to come.

Your story reveal today is the short description:

In Hell, The Devil makes the best brats. His demonic minions can't get enough of them. That is until Otto Van Der Noodle, the Brat King of Miliwaukee is cast into Hades Pit."

FJE

No comments:

Post a Comment