Sunday, January 28, 2018

Kickstart My Fart [Part 1]

Okay, so it's not quite what we planned but we're still dedicated to the cause. I'm sitting in a Panera Bread looking across the booth at the half-sexy horror writer, Chuck Buda. We were supposed to be in Ocean, NJ in a similar setting but our writing compatriot, Tim Meyer but he had to bow out at the last minute as the plague of pandemic that has America in its grips may have struck they Meyer household. 

Order of sexiness from L to R: Chuck Buda, Frank J Edler, Tim Meyer


Chuck was already en route so he peeled off the asphalt monster known as The Garden State Parkway and rerouted to a location a little closer to where he was on his journey to south Jersey. As you already know, we're in Sayreville, the cradle of independent horror writing in New Jersey, at least for today.

It's all Chuck's idea. He wanted to get together with Tim and I and do a sort of writer's retreat. Chuck has been struggling to find his groove like Stella. To be honest, I'm in a similar boat. Life is just consuming far too much valuable writing time. When you get out of your writing rhythm it's easy to start procrastinating and putting it aside and tell yourself you'll get to it later. And later never comes. 

So the great Buda is thinking if we break the cycle and get together, roundtable style it will invigorate and inspire the writer within us to double down and get back into action. I like this. I've never written in the company of others before. Writing is typically a solitary effort. This makes it social. And if feels good, like acrylic nails tracing the contours of your back. 

I housed that hipster breakfast


Well, this blog is the first thing I'm doing now that I've put a hipster worthy avocado, egg white and artisan cheese sandwich on sprouted grain bread into my tummy. The coffee is hot but getting steadily colder as I ignore it and focus on the words. That's good. Cold coffee is a great indication that I'm in the zone.

So this little exercise is over. It's time to peck away at the more important words. Please excuse my selfish little indulgence on the blog this morning. I hope you get some measure of entertainment out of it and please, share your little tips, tricks or hacks for getting yourself into the zone of whatever it is that you keep holding yourself back from.

I'll check in a little later and let you know how it goes. If we do well we've promised ourselves a trip to the local brewery!

Chuck is in the zone!

P.S.: Miss ya Timmy!

No comments:

Post a Comment